Strong and trusting relationships are at the heart of the Stars program.
The strength of these relationships is what now places us in the best possible position to provide meaningful support to First Nations girls and young women in our programs during these uncertain times.
Over the past couple of weeks, our Stars Teams across the country have developed innovative approaches to remote delivery of our program.
This will allow us to continue to provide comprehensive wellbeing and education support to First Nations girls and young women if, as seems likely, schools are closed.
Our Program Teams have been working closely with school leadership teams and we are ready to move to an alternative delivery platform at the beginning of Term 2. It is clear from our discussions with school leaders that the support Stars can provide in communicating, connecting and engaging with girls and their families is more important than ever.
How will we deliver our program if schools close?
The Stars remote support program is multi-faceted and will involve a combination of:
Academic support, such as:
- Identifying the level of support required for each girl during school closure
- Regular phone calls, check ins and visits that comply with COVID-19 restrictions (if possible)
- Coordinating the delivery and collection of hard copies of online material, where appropriate
- Working closely with individual schools to support online learning
- Providing academic resource and activity packs
- Intensive, high-level individual and group support for Year 12 students
Wellbeing Support, such as:
- Providing wellbeing and healthy lifestyle information and support remotely
- Online fitness and personal wellbeing sessions, such as yoga and meditation
- Assessing the students who may require an extra level of wellbeing support due to personal circumstances, and providing referral to other services if required
- Food delivery where students are in isolation or struggling with food scarcity
Transition Support, such as:
- Continuing to develop training and employment plans for current Year 12 students
- Preparing work-ready documents for current Year 12 students
- Providing additional intensive academic support remotely
- Providing ongoing transition support for 2018 and 2019 graduates remotely
We have an incredible team of professionals who are deeply committed to the wellbeing and ongoing educational engagement of the girls and young women in our programs.
Stars is ready to do whatever it takes to support our girls and young women, and their schools, during these very challenging times.
Thank you so much to our incredible partners. We are so grateful for your support, offers of assistance and good wishes. We wouldn’t be able to do what we do without you.
Take care and stay safe.
Andrea Goddard, Founder & CEO