Your privacy is important
The mission of Stars Foundation Limited (Stars, we, or us) is to support and enable Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander girls and young women to make active choices towards realising their full potential. Stars operates programs in a number of schools across the Northern Territory, Queensland, and Victoria, building trusted mentor relationships with students and providing important extracurricular opportunities and activities.
Stars recognises that the confidentiality of Personal Information is critically important and is committed to ensuring the privacy of any individuals whose Personal Information we receive. Personal Information will only be disclosed to third parties in accordance with this Policy. Any breach of this policy by our staff will be investigated and may result in termination of employment.
In this policy:
Personal Information means information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable: (a) whether the information or opinion is true or not; and (b) whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not, and includes Sensitive Information
Privacy Act refers to the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).
Sensitive Information means:
- information or an opinion about an individual’s: (i) racial or ethnic origin; (ii) political opinions; (iii) membership of a political association; (iv) religious beliefs or affiliations; (v) philosophical beliefs; (vi) membership of a professional or trade association; (vii) membership of a trade union; (viii) sexual orientation or practices; (ix) criminal record, that is also Personal Information; or
- health information about an individual, genetic information about an individual that is not otherwise health information, biometric information that is to be used for the purpose of automated biometric verification or biometric identification or biometric templates
You and your refers to the individuals whose Personal Information we handle from time to time.
Collection of Personal Information
Stars only collects Personal Information (including Sensitive Information) that is reasonably necessary for, or directly related to, its functions or activities. This might include:
- personal details of program participants, such as their name, email address and date of birth;
- address and contact details of program participants, donors, volunteers, and any employment applicants;
- security footage collected from our surveillance devices;
- personal details of donors, employment candidates (including previous employment information, references, and other employment related information), and volunteers, including those who have applied to become a volunteer; and
- payment information of donors.
You must only provide Personal Information to us if you are 15 years or older. Generally, we assume that individuals 15 years or older have the capacity to consent to us handling their Personal Information. We take reasonable steps to ensure that we do not knowingly collect Personal Information from persons under the age of 15 without first receiving the consent of a parent or guardian.
Method of Collection
We will primarily collect your Personal Information directly from you, and, if you are a participant in or an applicant for our programs, from your school. This includes collection of your Personal Information in circumstances when:
- you apply to join one of our programs;
- you provide information through our website, including through submitting a query or subscribing to a mailing list;
- when you communicate with us, such as through email correspondence or through the website; and
- when you participate in an activity or service that we
Although it is our preference to collect your Personal Information directly from you, sometimes this is not possible or practicable. In these circumstances, we may collect your Personal Information from third parties.
Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
- government departments (including where we have a mandatory reporting obligation); and
- any other person as required to enable us to perform our functions and activities, which may include other organisations where required by
In addition, we may use and disclose your Personal Information for a number of purposes, including to:
- engage with you regarding our program or services;
- determine whether you are eligible for our program or any of our services;
- provide you with services;
- assess applications for employment or volunteer placement;
- process donations;
- comply with any of our legal or contractual obligations;
- manage or measure our performance; and
- any other purpose related to our functions and activities for which you would reasonably expect us to use that Personal Information.
If your Personal Information is also Sensitive Information, we will not use that Sensitive Information for any other purpose than what is directly related to one of the purposes listed above.
In accordance with the Privacy Act, this policy does not apply to our acts and practices directly related to a current or former employment relationship between us and an employee, and any employee records held by us relating to the employee.
We take reasonable steps to protect your Personal Information as you transmit your information from your computer to our website and to protect such information from misuse, interference, loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. We will also take reasonable steps to de-identify Personal Information once we no longer need it for the purposes for which it was collected.
However, you should keep in mind that the transmission of information over the internet is not completely secure or error-free. In particular, e-mails sent to or from our website may not be secure, and you should therefore take special care in deciding what information you send to us via e-mail. Any information you provide us over the internet is provided at your own risk. Stars Foundation does not send Personal Information outside of Australia.
Accessing and Updating Personal Information
Stars seeks to ensure that the Personal Information it holds is accurate, complete and up- to-date. You may access or seek to update the Personal Information we hold about you by contacting :
Position: Chief Executive Officer
Address: PO Box 577, LILYDALE VIC 3140
We will provide you access to the Personal Information we hold about you, unless we are permitted to refuse your request under the Privacy Act. We will also provide you with details of how we collect, use, hold, or disclose this information.
There is no cost to make a request for your Personal Information. In some case you may be required to pay an administration fee to cover the cost of actioning your requests.
Enquiries and Privacy Complaints
If you have a question or complaint in relation to the handling of your Personal Information by Stars, please contact our Chief Executive Officer, whose contact details are set out above. We will acknowledge that any complaint has been received, handle any complaint in accordance with our internal procedures, and will provide you an estimate of when we can provide a response to the complaint. We will endeavour to respond to any complaints within a reasonable time.
If you are not satisfied with the way we manage your complaint, you may contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.